Windows Vista, 7, 8 or 8.1 with Rainmeter 3.0.2+ (rainmeter.net/cms/) installed.
Note: Internet Explorer sometimes renames .rmskin files to .zip files. If this happens you will need to go to the file location and rename it back to a .rmskin before running it.
Important: Using With a Portable Installation of Rainmeter
If you want to be able to launch the Start Menu from your windows taskbar using a portable installation of Rainmeter, a little tweaking is required.
1. In the Menu and MenuSmall folders there are subfolders called Link and LinkSmall. Contained in these are the .LNK shortcut files used to launch the menu from your taskbar.
2. Right click on the .LNK shortcut, select properties, and go to the shortcut tab
3. Replace the current folder paths for the Target and Start In parameters. Be sure not to delete the !ToggleConfig bang.
If you followed the steps correctly the taskbar Start Menu shortcuts should now run without problem on a portable installation of Rainmeter. If you have any further questions feel free to leave a comment below.
- New Start Menu variant, the Metro Menu, which is only currently available in standard size.
- A separate settings menu has been added for the Metro Menu, including the abilities to change metro icons, the metro app background color, and the metro app icon tint.
- Several minor improvements to the Setup menu
- Improved flow of settings menus (not finished however)
- Fixed a text error in the setup section
- Moved part of the Change Log to a txt file in the ZIP folder
- File size reduced by deleting unused images
Please visit the Rainmeter forums thread for information about pre-v1.3.0 release builds (rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.…).
What is this?
A skin for Rainmeter supported Operating Systems (excluding Win XP) to bring back the start menu and orb.
Do I have to have Rainmeter installed to use this?
Yes, you MUST have Rainmeter installed to use this Start Menu. In addition, you will need to update Rainmeter if your current version is older than v2.5.
How do I manually change one of my Apps icon, name, or path?
If you want to change that stuff manually, those variables (like the 7th app name) are in a file called VariablesApps.inc
Its location should be this:
Go to %USERPROFILE% then Documents then Rainmeter then Skins then Start Menu and finially resources
How do I access the settings menu?
For the Classic start menu, click the black settings icon in the lower right-hand corner of the start menu.
For the Metro start menu, click the title called setting icon.
and much more!
How can I put it in French?
Translate it or find someone fluent in both English and French. If someone could take English text and convert it into fluent French I could rewrite the code in French.
Did you mean:
Can I translate it into French?
Yes, as long as you give credit for the original work to me. (Preferable with a link to this page)
Sorry for the delayed response.
Q1 You mean edit the code or between the two styles? Either way, yes. If you edit it, just give me credit for the original work. To change the style, go into Settings from the start menu and select "Start Menu Format."
Q2 No and no. This is designed to function as a stand-alone start menu, mainly for people with Windows 8 or 8.1. This skin does not mess with windows settings aside from some of the links opening various system programs.
Q3 The official blue windows 8 icon from the control panel? If you use the in-taskbar shortcuts you can go to the .Lnk files and change the icon to whatever you prefer. As for the on-desktop start orb, just change the start orb tint to whatever you prefer.
Hope that helps!
Here you go.
In the description there is a link to the download page. The reason for doing this is that it allows people to directly download the .rmskin, which complies with standards set by the rainmeter community.
I could add it back here but it would be in .zip format since .rmskin files are only allowed in the rainmeter section. Alternatively, I could just host it on Sta.sh and post a direct download link here.